Get notified when this product is back in stock.
Spend $70 for free shipping on domestic orders.Learn more
We can personally gift wrap your order and send direct to the recipient for you. Just add gift wrap at the shopping cart.
Buying from the Museum Shop supports the work and activities of the National Museum of Australia.Learn more
Issue 21 is a response to Feared and Revered: Feminine Power through the Ages, our latest exhibition presented in partnership with the British Museum. Contents include:
- An interview with Belinda Crerar and Cheryl Crilly, focusing on the power of belief and approaches to curating this Australian edition of the touring exhibition.
- Virginia Haussegger on the “MeToo” protest movements across the globe, an outcome of her opening panel discussion at the National Museum on 8 December 2022.
- Linda Jaivin on the life of Wu Zetian, the Chinese Empress who became the face of the Bodhisattva.
- Krishna Sen on Durga and Kali, the Hindu Goddess of our times in her various manifestations.
- Toni Hassan on the legacy of the Christian Church and how to save Mary from the patriarchy.
- Monica Jackson on the power of the priestesses in the ancient world, discussing works from various museum collections.
- Belinda Cook on the women’s collective Bábbara Designs, based in Maningrida, whose fabric and textile work is reaching global markets and winning national business awards
- A portrait from the Power Room of Bangarra dancer Kassidy Waters by Eve Sullivan, editor of The Museum.
- An interview and In.Va.Ta.Tion from Rosanna Raymond inviting Pacific voices into the museum.
- The 2023 Annual Appeal for Genevieve Lacey’s Breathing Space, a soundscape commissioned for the Garden of Australian Dreams.
National Museum of Australia 2023
Cover image: Porcelain figure of Guanyin with 18 arms seated on a lotus, c. 1700–22. Bequeathed by Patrick J Donnelly. © Trustees of the British Museum 2023
Receive free shipping on The Museum Magazine when purchased alone and in Australia.